When applying for a job, the obligatory submission of a resume is one of the elements of modern rules of business etiquette, but at the same time it is one of the most effective means of advertising in the labor market.
The purpose of the resume is to draw attention to yourself at the first, correspondence acquaintance, to make a favorable impression and to encourage the employer to invite you for a personal meeting. Hence, the main principle of CV writing is to emphasize all the positive points and to make invisible, as far as possible, what is not your strong point.
Basic rules for writing a resume
On the basis of the resume is formed the first and fairly stable opinion of the person, which, however, is subjective and depends on the stereotypes of perception of people.
If you can not get an invitation to an interview, it means that for some reason your resume did not attract the attention of the employer. The only chance to succeed with a resume is the moment when it is read for the first time.
According to most employers, it is very important that the information in the resume is as complete as possible and at the same time brief, and most importantly, that the applicant during the interview can confirm all the data.
- The first immutable rule – the volume of the resume may not exceed one, maximum two pages of A4 format, and it is desirable that the key information was on the first page. If it doesn’t allow for that, then consider what information you can sacrifice.
- If the resume is more than one page, indicate at the end of the pages that the continuation is on the next page. On all but the first page, print the page number and the last name.
- If the resume is one incomplete page in length, the information should be arranged so that the page is fully occupied by the text.
- To write the “right” resume, you must use a single font. Many fonts in different sizes are unreadable! A strict style is a must. A resume is a document.
- Each section of the resume should be separate from the previous section.
- Headings should be in bold and/or underlined.
- Be sure to check your spelling. A resume with errors has no chance.
- Resumes should be written in plain language.
Today, resume to hire is the choice of successful and literate people who understand what it takes to get a decent job.
Don’t wait for the luck factor to work in your favor – do it yourself. It is considered good form in the business world to remind about yourself 2 working days after the interview with a letter of gratitude. You have a real opportunity to stand out from the crowd of candidates.